Lamar CISD proudly named George Ranch High School after a landmark to the pioneer spirit of Texas… The George Ranch.
The Ranch is named in honor of Albert and Mamie George. Both Georges came from pioneer stock. Albert’s grandfather came to Texas in the 1830’s, and Mamie was a descendent of one of Stephen F. Austin’s “Old 300” colonists. She was the fourth generation to own the land Austin originally deeded to Henry and Nancy Jones in 1822 – land that passed from one generation to the next through the women of the family. It was Nancy Jones who planted the oak tree in 1824 that was to serve as a playhouse for future generations, and ultimately become a landmark of the George Ranch.
Mamie, the daughter of Susan and J.H.P. Davis, married Albert George in 1896. Together, they established the George Ranch on land inherited from Mamie’s father and grandmother. The discovery of oil on the Ranch in the 1920’s contributed greatly to the Georges’ wealth. Today, oil and gas royalties and leases provide considerable revenue for The George Foundation, the largest benefactor in Fort Bend County.
The George’s dedication to improving the lives of their neighbors in Fort Bend County will live on through the students and staff at George Ranch High School.