Take the Lamar CISD Strategic Planning Survey (Oct. 15 – Dec. 3) by clicking here.

Strategic-Survey-Campus

Campus Phone: (832)223-1500

About Frost Elementary

About Samuel Miles Frost

Samuel Frost and Harriet Hunter Frost were early residents of Fort Bend County. Samuel moved to Texas in 1836. He and his wife resided on the Hunter plantation at the head of Jones Creek, near Skinner Lane and Pecan Grove Country Club. During the Republic of Texas and early statehood, the couple worked the fertile soil near the Brazos River by planting crops and grazing cattle. They were the parents of eight children.  

When the State School Law of 1854 passed, a Fort Bend County school organization established that a county judge and its commissioners were to organize into a county school board. The board would divide districts, hold elections and decide the location of the schools. The Frost Institute in Fort Bend County was incorporated by a legislative act on August 28, 1856, and organized by Samuel Miles Frost. 

The Frost children, along with many others, were educated on the plantation. Their son John Miles Frost became a well-known and successful livestock commissioner and cattleman. It was he who brought the first Brahman cattle to Texas and the second herd to the United States. He also constructed the first rice irrigation canal in Texas that still remains in use today. Descendants of theses families continue to live and work in Fort Bend County.